Well hello there! What a pleasure it is to have you stop by. My name is Heidi and I am the one who has way too many words for facebook so I decided that maybe it is time for a blog. So I called up a web-hosting company, asked them the most unintelligent questions ever recorded in the history of “people who call up web-hosting companies” (but the customer service rep said that she has a blog so at least I provided her with some GREAT writing material), bought a website and well…the rest is history because just look….here we are, meeting for the first time at tryingnot2blink.com.
But I’m not going to lie – I’m not completely sure yet why I am doing this. And here are some reasons why:
1. I do not love coffee but I can almost tolerate it with heaping amounts of flavored creamer and sugar. Almost. With LOTS of sugar. But I do enjoy holding a coffee mug because my hands are always cold (I could write a blog on this fact alone) and it just looks cozy. But if you watch carefully – I probably won’t actually drink it.
2. I do not homeschool except for when they are home. (which is kind of a lot actually)
3. I cook only because we need to eat. It’s one of those unwritten rules of having eight hollow legs to fill around here.
4. I have very little fashion sense. Most often I am wearing some form of a navy blue sweater. Like every single day of my life. Or my latest fashion trend has been the big yellow “chip clip” that I’ve been using to clip back these bangs that I really thought I wanted but boy was I clearly mistaken and if you don’t believe that I have been adorning the chip clip just ask the UPS guy who probably won’t be back to 620 Forest Road for a really long time. (and in case you were wondering, I chose the word “adorning” because Webster defines it like this: ”to enliven or decorate as if with ornaments” . Be honest – you would have chosen that word too.)
Ladies – even if you never read my blog again maybe this is the word you needed to hear today. Think long and hard before you cut those bangs. (most likely a blog about bangs is in my near future) I know, I know, you are about falling off your kitchen barstool in anticipation. However, I must add, I really do like fashion. I just don’t usually adorn (new favorite word as of 4 minutes ago) the latest fashions until the day after they went out of style. This might have something to do with the fact that I don’t like change all that much and if you don’t believe me – refer back to the title of my blog.
5. I’m not much of a fitness guru either. I am a fair-weather jogger (it is no accident that I did not use the term “runner” because that would imply speed), I’ve been known to zumba on occasion but my hips just aren’t Latin and that’s all I will say about that, and I like to walk or bike with people who like it more than me so that we don’t just stop after 8 and 1/2 minutes and sit down wherever we are. I like fresh air, so when I do exercise, it’s for purely selfish reasons. I either like the sunshine or the person I’m with. And sometimes if I’m lucky, both of those are true.
AND……since all of the bloggers I know enjoy most or ALL of those things listed above, I’m not completely sure yet why I am doing this. There will be no “mealtime Monday” series, or “fitness Friday” series, or “trendy Tuesday” series. In fact, there might not be a series at all which makes me sad because I really enjoy it when bloggers have a series so hopefully God will give me a dream some night of a series I could write. That would be nice. If I actually had a thought that lasted for more than a paragraph and could become a “series”, I would have then….”arrived”. And since I’ve never really “arrived” at anything yet because “arriving” implies “change” (and refer back to my blog title for a reminder on how I feel about that) and so if I write a series and “arrive” well then…I think I would like that very much.
But here is what I do know:
Once upon a time, almost 40 years ago, the girliest of all girlie-girls was born. She played with dolls like nobody’s business until she was far too old to still be playing with dolls. She loved all things cute and frilly and collectible and stickerbookish and scrapbookish and talk-on-the-phone-with-your-friends-alot-ish. And she would make up stories in her head about the 18 daughters she would have and name them all and then she began praying. Praying many times over and over and with her whole heart that God would someday give her a cute husband and then lots and lots of baby girls and then she got the cute husband and then in June of 1998, God started answering her prayers with something WAY better for her. Like, exceedingly abundantly more than she could have ever thought of or asked for and I am so thankful that HE answers our prayers with HIS will and not our will because oh how much we would miss. And that’s how I ended up here on this blog, a happy mom of ONLY boys and a WHOLE lot of ‘em and “trying not to blink”.
And I will write about and for my God, the one who created the entire universe and even decided to include me in it. The God who chose to humble himself and come to Earth and be born in a manger. That mangered babe who then, in the blink of an eye, (but I’m sure his mom was trying not to) was nailed to the cross for my sins and then DID NOT STAY THERE! He rose again for me! I will write for HIM – the one who created life, gave me my life, and IS my life. The one who gave me these boys – and this life – this crazy, messed-up, ordinary, beautiful, trying-not-to-blink-it-away life.
So while I’m not completely sure of HIS plan in all this – HE put the desire in my heart to share my stories. So I will. I hope you will stick around as I share the highs and lows and mostly the “everything-in-between’s”. Because I already know this much to be true: it is in the “everything-in-between’s” where we find what we will one day miss the most.
Thanks again for stopping by…I hope to see you again soon!